Since October 17, 2009, the collection of the Egyptian Museum and Papyrus Collection has once again been on display at the Neues Museum. In 1828, under King Frederick William III and on the recommendation of Alexander von Humboldt, an Egyptian section of the Royal Prussian Museums was established. In 1850, the Egyptian Museum moved into the Neues Museum on Museum Island, which had been specially built for it by architect Friedrich August Stüler.
Due to the destruction caused by World War II, parts of the collection were lost, while others were moved to various locations. The bulk of the collection was located in East Berlin and was put on display again at the Bode Museum beginning in 1958. In West Berlin, the remainder of the collection, which had returned from West Germany, was exhibited in the Eastern Stüler Building in Charlottenburg starting in 1967.
